Resize TextDecrease Text Increase Text Size PrintPrint This Page Share Facebook Share Twitter Share Share This

Main Content


Home Ownership Plus Education (HOPE) Scheme

Young, low-income families who choose to keep their family small can receive comprehensive benefits to help them upgrade themselves and achieve a better future for their family. 

What are the benefits? 


·         Conditional Housing Grant

$60,000 housing grant disbursed in annual instalments of $3,000 to mother’s CPF account


·         Utilities Grant

$1,000 once-off grant to offset utilities charges



·         Training Advice and Employment Support

Ongoing advice provided on training courses, job placement and career counselling


·         Training Incentives

Up to $6,000 worth of incentives for families who make efforts to do better and complete training courses that lead to better employment


·         Employment Incentives

Up to $10,000 worth of employment incentives for full time working mothers.



·         Education Bursaries

Annual bursaries of up to $3,000 for each child attending pre-school to university to help pay for their educational expenses. This includes the savings to each child’s Child Development Account (CDA) and Post Secondary Education Account (PSEA) for their future educational needs.  


·         Mentoring and Family Support

Ongoing mentoring support and guidance to strengthen families as they work towards upgrading themselves and their families.


Free family planning.

  • Who can apply?

    Your family can apply if:

    • you are married or you are a widowed/divorced mother with child custody
    • your gross household income is $1,700 or lower per month
    • in families where at least one spouse or the widowed/divorced mother has a post secondary education, the individual income of each spouse or widowed/divorced mother should not be more than $1,200 per month to qualify
    • the wife/mother is aged 35 years or below
    • in families where at least one spouse or the widowed/divorced mother has a post secondary education, the wife/mother should be aged  30 to 35 years old to qualify
    • both husband and wife must be Singapore Citizens; if one spouse is a Permanent Resident, the other must be a Singapore Citizen; if you are a widowed/divorced mother, you must be a Singapore Citizen
    • you have up to 2 children who must be  Singapore Citizens
    • the husband or widowed/divorced mother is employed
  • To Apply

    Apply for the Home Ownership Plus Education (HOPE) Scheme at any Social Service Offices (SSOs) near you.

    Social Service office @ Central-Singapore
    HDB Hub Bizthree
    490, Lorong 6 Toa Payoh, #04-10
    Tel: (65) 6370 9901

    Social Service office @ North East
    300 Tampines Ave 5
    #06-01, NTUC Income Tampines Junction
    Singapore 529653
    Tel: (65) 6424 4000

    Social Service office @ North West
    900 South Woodlands Drive
    #01-04, Woodlands Civic Centre
    Tel: (65) 6767 2288

    Social Service office @ South East

    10 Eunos Road 8
    #02-01, Singapore Post Centre
    Tel: (65) 6243 8753

    Social Service office @ South West
    The JTC Summit
    8 Jurong Town Hall Road, #26-06
    Tel: (65) 316 1616

    From 1 August 2013

    Social Service office @ Jalan Besar
    69 Jellicoe Road
    Singapore 208737

    Social Service office @ Kreta Ayer
    4 Sago Lane
    Singapore 050004

    Background on HOPE

    The HOPE scheme was introduced in 2004 to help young low-income families who choose to keep their families small. It aims to give these families a head start to improve their socio-economic status by upgrading their skills and investing resources in their children’s education.

    Families are provided with benefits in the form of a housing grant, training grant and bursaries for their children’s education as well as incentives for employment and upgrading themselves. They also receive mentoring support.

    Related Assistance Items

    • ComCare Child Care Fees Assistance»
      If you need to place your child in a child care centre but have difficulties paying the fees, you may apply for help under ComCare.

    • ComCare Assistance for those Permanently Unable to Work»
      Are you unable to work due to old age, illness or disability? And you can't get help from family members? Get cash grants, medical assistance and education assistance under ComCare.

    • ComCare Employment Assistance»
      Are you or your family members unable to find a job and need help for a short period?

    • ComCare Kindergarten Fees Assistance»
      If you want to place your child in a nursery or kindergarten programme, but cannot afford the fees, you may apply for help under Comcare. Kindergarten Fees Assistance is available at eligible non-profit kindergartens.

    • ComCare Urgent Financial Assistance»
      The fund, administered by Citizens' Consultative Committees (CCCs), provides urgent and temporary assistance in the form of cash, vouchers or food rations.

    DATE PUBLISHED: Thursday, April 29, 2010
    LAST REVIEWED: Monday, March 03, 2014
    © 2012, Government of Singapore